"We Believe Our Only Reason for Being is to Serve Our Neighbors"
-- Mission Statement
Lutheran HealthCare has been providing high-quality, community-focused health care for southwest Brooklyn's diverse residents, our neighbors since 1883! It all began when Sister Elisabeth Fedde, of Norway, established the Norwegian Lutheran Deaconesses' Home and Hospital in Brooklyn.
Originally, the home consisted of a nine bed hospital. In 1955 this 225-bed institution, a permanent monument to her labors, was officially renamed Lutheran Medical Center. The hospital was home to community clinics, a nursing school, an internship and residency program, and a disaster plan.
One-hundred and twenty-five years later Lutheran HealthCare (LHC) is an academic, faith-based community health care organization committed to excellence. The principal provider of health care for the residents of southwest Brooklyn, our system provides superb primary and supportive care. The LHC system includes: Lutheran Medical Center, Lutheran Family Health Centers, Lutheran Augustana Center for Extended Care and Rehabilitation, Community Care Organization, Inc, Health Plus and senior housing.